- 1/4 Cup Honey (can sub agave nectar, maple syrup, or brown rice syrup)
- 1/4 Cup Nut Butter (peanut, almond, cashew, or even seed butter, you choose! I used cashew butter in the version pictured)
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Generous Pinch of Salt (omit if using salted nut butter)
- 2 Cups Erewhon Gluten Free Organic Brown Rice Cereal*
- 1 Tablespoon Flax Seeds, ground in your spice grinder
- 1/4 Cup Semi-Sweet or Dark Chocolate Chips, Chunks, or Nibs**
Lightly grease a dozen muffin tins (if you have silicone muffin cups or good non-stick tins, then you can skip this step).
In a small saucepan over low heat, gently melt together the honey, nut butter, and oil. Keep in mind, you are just trying to melt them and combine, not cook them! Stir in the vanilla and salt, if using.
Remove from the heat and stir in the cereals and ground flax seed. Allow the mixture to cool for a couple of minutes, then stir in the chocolate (if you stir it in too quickly, it may melt a bit).
With a spoon, scoop the mixture into your muffin tins/cups, and gently press it in, evening it out with the back of your spoon. If you use your fingers, the mixture may stick a bit.
Freeze for at least 20 minutes. Pop out, and enjoy! Store any leftovers in the refrigerator or freezer in an airtight container. This will help to keep them crisp, firm, and fresh.
To make bars: Press mixture into a greased baking pan (8 x 8 or smaller), and freeze to set up per instructions above. Slice into bars and serve.
*Simple ingredients in cereal: organic brown rice, organic brown rice syrup, sea salt
**Simple ingredients in semi-sweet chocolate chips: evaporated cane juice (aka unrefined sugar), chocolate liquor, cocoa butter