Welcome to the March issue of
the Attune Harmony newsletter.
In this issue you'll find it is easy to
stay healthy with Dr. Liz Applegate's
Be sure to enter the Get Gutsy
Sweepstakes for a chance to win a trip to Alaska. Also, check out how Attune got "Super Gutsy" on the ski slopes. Click on the links to the right to take you directly to these topics.
Top 10 Nutrition Tips for Daily WellnessLiz Applegate, Ph.D.
Director of Sports Nutrition, University of California at Davis
Daily wellness means much more than a day without being sick. Wellness is a state of optimal health – not only are you free of illness but you also experience an improved quality of life. What you eat and how much plays a big role in achieving and maintaining day-to-day and life-long wellness.
Here are 10 nutrition and eating tips to boost your wellness.
1. Fit in fiber. Eating foods rich in fiber is a must for digestive health and reducing risk for heart disease, cancer, diabetes and more. Select whole grains, high-fiber breakfast cereals and plenty of fruit and veggies each day – aim for 25 to 40 grams of fiber daily.
2. Go green. Leafy green veggies supply many disease-fighting compounds to lower risk for Alzheimer's and other age-related ailments. Greens such as spring salad mix, collard and kale also supply a wealth of nutrients for daily health.
3. Look for life. Eat food with life – live bacteria, often referred to as probiotics. Yogurt, kefir and wellness bars supply friendly bacteria that help keep your digestive tract healthy. Studies also show that eating probiotics boosts the immune system, reducing the likelihood of colds and other ailments.
4. Munch on fruit. Peaches, berries and oranges along with other fruit supply a wealth of nutrients including water-soluble fiber – the type that helps lower blood cholesterol levels and controls diabetes. Aim for two cups daily or about three pieces of medium-sized fruit.
5. Pay attention to portion sizes. Whether it is pasta or ice cream you should know how much you are serving yourself and what is an appropriate serving size. Many of us don't realize we may be dishing up two or more servings which mean extra calories and unwanted pounds. Use simple household measuring cups to give yourself an idea of portion sizes.
6. Look for lean. Select protein sources that are lean or low-fat to keep down levels of artery-clogging saturated fat. Use low- or non-fat dairy and lean cuts of meat with excess fat trimmed or skin removed from poultry. Give vegetarian sources of protein a try such as veggie burgers, tofu and other foods made from soy.
7. Opt for whole grains. Anytime you reach for a carb source ask for whole grain – cereals, rice, bread, tortillas and bagels. Whole grains not only supply more fiber but also a wealth of disease-fighting compounds that help protect your heart and body cells from cancer.
8. Know your calories. It's up to you to know what you are eating and how many calories are in the foods you eat. Controlling calories is one big step toward healthy weight control. Read food labels and watch serving sizes.
9. Aim for color. Red, yellow, orange, blue and purple should be the colors of your vegetable selections each day. Color pigments in plants are disease-preventing compounds like carotenes that help reduce risk for various ailments including cancer and diabetes.
10. Cook creatively. Simple, wholesome recipes using fresh vegetables, grains and lean protein sources are abound on the Internet - this way you can eat fresh and take advantage of locally grown foods. Besides, cooking is fun and relaxing – both great for overall wellness.
Red Mango is now the exclusive frozen yogurt retailer to carry Attune Probiotic Wellness Bars.
Attune continues to expand – now you can find our tasty probiotic bars next to yogurt at Andronico's, Mollie Stone and PW Markets. Visit our store locator to find Attune near you.
Attune® Get Gutsy Sweepstakes
Enter for a chance to win a trip to Alaska from Attune and Backroads.
Attune wants to celebrate "listening to your gut" and being bold and courageous in your everyday pursuits or life long dreams.
So, what's inside of you? Are you getting gutsy? Share the story of how you listen to your gut and take on the world!
Whether it's asking for a big raise, learning the tango or running a 10k — we want to hear from you! Share your "Get Gutsy" story by entering the Attune Get Gutsy Sweepstakes at www.getgutsy.com. One lucky winner will have their gutsiness rewarded with an active travel vacation in Alaska for two with Backroads – The World's #1 Active Travel Company! Plus $1,000 for additional travel expenses (Total package valued at $6,200).
Now's the time to listen to that inner voice, celebrate what's inside you and GET GUTSY!
Photo Credits: ©Backroads/Rich Reid
Attune gets Super Gutsy on the slopes!
Attune recently visited several ski resorts to hear people's gutsy stories – on and off the slopes. Attune superheroes took a break from snowboarding to hand out free Attune bars and snap photos with guests.
See photos from a few of our fun events:
• Copper Mountain, CO – 3/8
• Winter Park, CO – 3/9
• Squaw Valley, CA – 3/15
• Squaw Valley, CA – 3/16
Receive 30% off your next online order (minimum purchase $9.99). Just enter code NL002 at checkout. Offer expires 04/30/08 so don't delay!
Need to find a store in your area that carries Attune? Visit our store locator to find an updated list of retail locations. New retailers are continually added, so check back often!
Want to see where you might be able to meet Attune? Check our website for upcoming Attune events: www.attunefoods.com/events
Attune to You!
"An optimist is the human personification of spring."
- Susan J. Bissonette