11 Sep 2012
I am so excited about the new Supergrains cereal! It tastes amazing on its own, but I couldn’t wait to use those hearty flavors in a recipe (or two). The Supergrains flakes are so nice and thick that I knew they would make an ideal crispy coating. They also have a very light sweetness that pairs beautifully with curry.
This is a wonderfully simple healthy recipe that is perfect for the busy months ahead. Kids will love the mild flavor of this after school meal, and adults will love the mild spice and how EASY this healthy recipe is! I’ve skipped the three step dipping and rolling process that you typically see with baked chicken tenders. Instead, I’ve simplified it by stirring the dip and chicken together in one bowl, and then rolling it in the coating.
While you could use regular or egg-free mayonnaise in place of the coconut milk for the dipping process, I used (regular, full-fat) coconut milk to keep with the curry and healthy whole food theme. It worked beautifully.
Serve these nuggets with a quick curry dip, in lettuce wraps with your favorite creamy or tomato-based dressing, or as the feature on a mixed greens salad.
Health in a Hurry Curry Chicken Nuggets
YIELD: 3 servings
- 3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks
about 1/2-inch thick
- 1/4 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder (store-bought or homemade)
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-1/4 cups Erewhon Organic Buckwheat & Hemp Cereal
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF and place a roasting, baking or cooling rack on a baking sheet, and spray it with cooking spray. I use my cookie cooling racks – it allows air to circulate under the nuggets and crisp up both sides.
- Sprinkle the chicken bites evenly with the 1/4 teaspoon of salt and about half of the pepper.
- Place the remaining 1/8 teaspoon of salt and pepper in a medium-sized bowl with the coconut milk, curry powder, and garlic powder. Whisk to combine.
- Place the seasoned chicken bites in the coconut milk mixture, and stir to coat.
- Put the cereal in a spice grinder and pulse to create coarse crumbs. Alternately, you can put the cereal in a large plastic bag and have fun smashing!
- Pour the cereal into a shallow dish, and one-by-one, roll the coated chicken nuggets in the cereal to coat. Place them on your greased baking sheet or racks.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until baked through and lightly crispy on the outside.
- The cooked nuggets can be frozen and reheated in the oven for
an even quicker meal.
- This food allergy-friendly recipe is Gluten-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free,
Peanut-Free, and Soy-Free.
AlisaCheck out my latest posts here