7 Aug 2012
When I was challenged to come up with a healthy snack recipe this month, all of my thoughts went to sweet things. I do enjoy savories, but my afternoon snack is almost always a hybrid of afternoon-pick-me-up and dessert. I do my best to keep it nutritious, but… who doesn’t love a little treat mid-day?
I decided to go with mini organic graham cracker sandwiches. Two crisp pieces of “bread” smooshing an all-natural spread. The filling isn’t exactly like cheesecake (hence the quotes!), but is definitely cheesecake-inspired. There are notes of savory, sour, and of course, sweet … but I kept the sugar quite light, this is a healthy snack and not a full on dessert, after all! You can adjust all of the seasonings to taste, if desired – more lemon to up the contrast, more sugar to soothe a sweet tooth, or more cashews+water for a creamier and softer texture.
Now graham-wiches lend themselves to all kinds of creativity. You can simply enjoy them plain, for a not-so-classic dairy-free “cheese” and cracker snack, or slather both sides with the spread, and sandwich something delicious in the middle.
How about some probiotic chocolate in this healthy snack? …
And how could I ignore the heavenly combination of “cheesecake” & strawberries? …
Warning: I like to eat messy things. I really am a neat and tidy girl by nature, but when it comes to food, the sloppier, the better. Extra barbecue sauce – yes, please. Ice cream melting in the hot sun – is there any other way to enjoy it? A soft sweet spread oozing out of graham cracker sandwiches – I think you and your children will agree that this is the way it should be …
Healthy “Cheesecake” Grahamwich Snacks
Please note that this is a very quick recipe to make, but I like to make the spread a day ahead, so it has time to set-up and gain flavor in the refrigerator. The spread will keep for a few days when chilled.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian, Dairy free, Egg free, Peanut free, Soy free, Refined Sugar free (optional)
Number of servings (yield): 4
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (can sub evaporated cane juice
or cane sugar)
- Scant 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 drops vanilla stevia, or to taste, optional
- 4 whole Erewhon Organic Graham Crackers
- 4 sliced strawberries or 2 bars of attune probiotic dark chocolate
broken into chunks, optional
- Place the cashews, sugar, and salt in a spice grinder, and whiz for 60 seconds to finely grind.
- Place the cashew mixture, lemon juice, water, coconut oil, and vanilla in a blender or food processor (I use a small personal blender) and process until smooth.
- Taste test and blend in the stevia or additional sweetener as desired. You can also add more lemon if you like a more tart spread.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator to set-up. You can enjoy it immediately, but it will be quite soft. I like to make it the night before, allowing it to thicken and meld the flavors overnight.
- Break the graham crackers in quarters, and spread half or all of the graham quarters with the cashew spread.
- Sandwich two cracker pieces together with the filling in the middle, or eat open-faced.
- If desired, place sliced strawberries or pieces of probiotic chocolate in the middle of each graham-wich.
AlisaCheck out my latest posts here