30 Jun 2011
This past weekend, I had the pleasure of attending the Fitness & Health Bloggers Conference on behalf of Attune Foods.
The conference was held in beautiful Boulder, Colorado. No humidity and scenery like this? I didn’t want to leave!
Here are my top 5 takeaways from the conference!
1) We need to improve access to healthy food and safe fitness opportunities. The opening keynote speaker was a woman named Shellie Pfohl, who serves as the Executive Director of the Presidential Council on Fitness, Sports, and Nutrition.
Her talk was very interesting – and scary, too. Did you know that 1 in 3 kids in the U.S. are now overweight or obese? Fitness has essentially been engineered out of our lifestyles, and those with less money are even more likely to be overweight due to lack of access to healthy food and safe fitness opportunities. For more details and to learn how you can help, check out my friend Theodora’s great post about the speech.
2) Working out while wearing bouncy shoes is really fun.
Those shoes are called Kangoo Jumps and they were a total blast! Check out my post about the workout for more – it includes a video of us working out in them, too!
3) Hiking in Colorado is incredible. (And will seriously get your heart pumping, thanks to the added altitude!) I wish all conferences included hiking as part of their agenda.
4) All workdays should include fitness breaks. Each afternoon during the conference, we broke for a 20-minute fitness break, which included a variety of stretching and strengthening exercises. It felt really good – especially after sitting on our computers and typing for hours! I’m going to incorporate this practice into my workdays from now on – at least every 2 hours, I’ll take a short stretching break!
5) Want to instantly become the most popular person in the room? Stand up and announce that you have free probiotic chocolate bars to hand out.
Check out my latest posts here